CV of Lewis Gaul
Cisco Systems (formerly Ensoft) (2018-present)
- Software Engineer (joined as graduate)
- Development in C, Python, Elm, Java
- I was introduced to Python in 2008 at the age of 13, and started playing around with problems on Project Euler while I was studying for A levels.
- Throughout university I continued to practise using more complex Python techniques for various personal projects.
- My biggest personal project has been implementing an advanced version of the classic Minesweeper game (see the GitHub repo).
- I gave a 20-minute talk about my Minesweeper project at the Oxford science and technology conference Inscite in 2016.
- I taught an 8-week Python beginner’s course to university students in 2017.
- I regularly use Python in my current job at Cisco.
- I have attended PyCon UK twice (2018 and 2019).
- I set up and ran EnHackathon in 2019.
- I was taught C when I joined Ensoft in 2018, and worked on a team owning a C codebase for almost a year.
- Some of my contribution to CPython has involved reading and writing C code.
- I wrote a basic Minesweeper Android app in 2016.
- At Cisco I worked on a project that was primarily written in Java, using the Drools rules engine.
- I took part in a week-long Elm course at Cisco. The team I was on at the time then created an internal website using Elm for the frontend and Python for the backend (using the EnTrance framework).
- I have basic experience in web design and setting up DNS configuration.
- I have set up multiple sites hosted by GitHub pages using Jekyll as the site generator.
- I used MATLAB at university for various projects, including my third- and fourth-year dissertations.
University of Oxford, St. Edmund Hall (2013-2017)
- MMath course in Mathematics: 2:1
- Received a MetOffice undergraduate prize for my fourth-year dissertation
- Received an Open Exhibition award from college after third year
- My third-year project modelled strategy in cycling races – the results were published in ‘Sports Engineering’ journal
Peter Symonds College (2011-2013)
- A levels: A* in Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
- AS levels: B in Spanish
Bitterne Park Secondary School (2007-2011)
- A levels: A* in Maths (only student sitting Maths A level at the time)
- GCSEs: 7 A* grades including Mathematics and Triple Science, 4 A grades including Double English
- Merit in Grade 6 Flute
I’m a big tennis fan, and enjoy playing racket sports, especially tennis squash and table tennis. I also enjoy long cycle rides with friends in the warmer periods of the year!
I spent four and a half months in Spain between the end of my degree and starting working at Ensoft to improve my ability to communicate in Spanish.
I have been going to WOMAD festival on and off since I was a toddler, in recent years doing bar work in exchange for a free weekend ticket.